What is a recipe for a monthly Radio Unity show? Here are the commonly used incredients. Surely chef sometimes use some special spices but these are most common ones:
- -One month of intensive music hunting for new tracks. This includes for example going through promos from labels, listening to hundreds of new releases in web shops, checking fellow DJs charts, playlists, radio shows, live mixes & podcasts and of course trainspotting some bombs at clubs.
- -Figuring out the approximately ten tracks to be included from tens of candidates and their order.
- -Checking the harmonic key of the tracks with Mixed in Key software.
- -Selecting opening and closing tracks as they are often the most important ones.
- -Putting together the arrangement in Ableton Live.
- -Pitch shifting (with Ableton) some of the tracks to fit harmonically.
- -Re-editing some of the tracks so the mix flows better and fits nicely to the 60 minutes.
- -Mixing the tracks live using Korg microKONTROL and Ableton’s filters and effects.
- -Exporting the finished mix to a full resolution .aiff audio file.
- -Mastering that file in Logic software with plug-ins to balance the overall levels.
- -Converting the final mix to an MP3 file and uploading that to Afterhours.fm server.
So that is the creative journey taken every month, resulting in a one hour mix of latest progressive trance. Sometimes it all comes together easily, sometimes there can be two “competing” totally different kind of collections while sometime it feels there are double the amount of tracks I can fit. I’ve been doing this since 1998 and still love it every month! Tonight we’ll listen to some aural goodies from the likes of Underworld, Eric Prydz, Jerome Isma-ae, Protoculture, Eelke Klein, Marcus Schulz. Come and join the vibe at AH.FM forum.
- Show: DJ Orkidea: Radio Unity 020
- Time: 3rd Wed of the month @ 21-22 CET (22-23 FIN time)
- Live streams and chat: http://forum.ah.fm/
- Podcast in iTunes: http://bit.ly/radiounityitunes
- Old podcasts, tracklists and direct downloads: http://bit.ly/orkidea-podcast